Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Furthur I march ahead

Two things:

#1:

Yesterday morning about 2am (which could be considering Sunday night instead of Monday morning, depending on how you look at it) I set my alarm so I could call back Sir Allan Hillson for Sir John Cass Residence Hall for student accommodation. How official does that sound? He gave me a call on Thursday morning around 7:30am my time last week, so I gave him a call back. After listening to the message he left me about 15 or so times to get the number I called on Friday 8:30am my time only to find out he was out of the office. The second try is a charm (well not really but who’s counting?) so I gave another ring yesterday early. Sure enough after talking to someone at the office who could barely hear me and cause me to spell out my first and surname at nearly the top of my voice (hopefully I didn't wake up my roommates), the phone was handed to Sir Allan Hillson. He was a bit concerned, which is the reason for him contacting my by phone rather that email?

Sir Hillson: "It says here on your application your ** years old" (sorry I'm not going to disclose my age, as of yet)

Me: "yes"

Sir Hillson: "Well I just wanted to contact you to let you know what you are getting yourself into"

Me: "you mean living with a bunch of teenagers. I'm well aware"

Sir Hillson: (small chuckle) "Well yes it can get quite noisy at times. The students living here range from 18-22. I just want you to go into this with your eyes wide open"

I kid you not; he said, "eyes wide open" like 3 times. I assured him that although I never lived in the dorms, or residence halls as they call it there I knew the age range of the students that live at halls and what they act like. I think I can deal, although I'm still not sure whether I'm going to decide to live there after all. It might be a nusence finding private accommodation but it might be better for me and not because I won't be living with 18 to 22 years olds. Hell I act and look like an 18 to 22 year old anyways. Meeting me in person you would be shocked to find out my true chronological age. I swear the older I get the more immature I get. It's quite sad.

#2:

A Milestone:

I told my landlord, whom I saw for the first time in at least a couple of weeks, I was moving out come September. This was after we had a short, uneventful conversation about fog. It was really, I mean really foggy yesterday. He said okay and seemed really sad. I don't think it was about my news. Perhaps it was about his wife, Sophia, my landlady, who recently was diagnosed with cancer. I hope she is doing okay, considering her ill health. It was easier than I thought it would be; it just slipped out. I'm a bit sad to be leaving the household. I'll have to say goodbye to roommates Zully, who has been my closest friend while here in San Francisco (Ahem, ur, Daly City, actually), and young Bonnie, who I was barely getting to know and liked. I have another roommate besides those two but I never talk to her so my feelings are rather neutral for her, naturally.


etc...

Which brings me to my former roommate, Delphine, who is back in her homeland of France. Delphine lived in the room next to mine for 4 months for our first semester at SFSU. She later moved to the city with her then boyfriend, now husband, the following semester closer to school. Before I tell get to the point of this story, let me tell you a fond memory I have of Delphine. Zully, Delphine, and I got into a conversation about ass kissing. Zully seems to think I'm a kiss ass because I get chummy with my professors. Delphine, instead of using the phrase “ass kisser” said "ass licker", which is a direct translation of the French equivalent. As far as I know I think she still says "ass licker" I like the phrase “ass licker”. It's quite graphic and unsettling but I like the French phrase better. Delphine is quite the character and a woman who knows how gets her way, so delightfully devious. I finally emailed her recently and she emailed me back!! Zully and I wanted to go out with her and Matthew for a last big hurrah before Delphine heads off to West Virginia (where her husband is from) and I set off to London. We missed each other, regrettably. She has been in Paris since mid June and is planning on going to West Virginia in September. Maybe she will still be in Paris by the time I arrive in London. That would be fab, to go to Paris, straight away. It's just so close, a 3-hour train ride away!!

No comments: